Looking for actions to tire out an lively tot? Right here’s an thought: Head outdoors, pop them a toddler scooter and watch them whiz round. Scooters (in addition to bikes and tricycles assist youngsters develop energy, mobility and coordination abilities—plus, they provide a enjoyable solution to get from A to B!
Typically, youngsters 2 years outdated and up can be taught to journey a toddler scooter, however there are additionally choices with a transition seat which might be designed for teenagers as younger as one—making scooters an superior possibility for toddlers of any age. The very best toddler scooters are sturdy, adjustable, light-weight and, most significantly, protected. Want a little bit assist to kickstart your search? Take a look at our high security ideas and browse our decide of the perfect scooters for little ladies and boys.
Forms of Toddler Scooters
It’s vital to notice that the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that youngsters underneath 16 ought to not function or journey on motorized or e-scooters. Listed below are the three varieties of scooters which might be appropriate for toddlers:
- Experience-on scooter. A ride-on scooter is the most suitable choice for younger toddlers who’re nonetheless discovering their ft. This kind has a detachable seat and adjustable deal with bars. Kids can sit on it and pedal with their ft till they’re prepared to make use of it as a standing scooter. These convertible designs also can “turn out to be useful when youngsters fatigue and could also be seated to propel the scooter,” says Pamela Skinner , MSOTR, a occupational therapist scientific specialist at Hopebridge Autism Remedy Facilities.
- Three-wheel scooter. A scooter with three wheels (two on the entrance and one on the again) is the most suitable choice for toddlers beginning to learn to journey a scooter, says Skinner. Why? This kind usually has a large, secure base, making it simpler for toddlers to maintain their steadiness as they scoot alongside.
- Two-wheel scooter. A two-wheel scooter—often known as a kick scooter—has one wheel on the entrance and one on the again. That is maybe the most typical sort of scooter, particularly for older tots with well-developed steadiness abilities. “Two-wheeled scooters are more difficult to steadiness, which will be useful for persevering with to develop core energy and gross motor abilities,” provides Skinner.
The very best toddler scooters are cute, colourful, straightforward to make use of and—you guessed it—reliably protected. Listed below are the primary security concerns to remember:
- Helmets. Firstly, “youngsters ought to at all times put on a helmet when using a scooter,” says Skinner. Even when your kiddo is simply standing on their scooter or using it round the home, Skinner suggests that folks ought to encourage them to put on a helmet as “it helps construct good habits and protects their head in case of accidents.”
- Protecting gear. Tumbles and scrapes are inevitable, so all riders (massive and small!) should put on protecting gear when utilizing a scooter. Based on the AAP , protecting wrist, elbow and knee pads needs to be worn—along with a helmet, after all.
- Age-appropriate designs. At all times learn the model’s age and weight tips to verify the scooter is appropriate to your youngster’s developmental stage. “Scooters should not one-size-fits-all, so you will need to overview weight limits and handlebar peak,” explains Skinner.
- Grownup supervision. Kids underneath the age of 8 ought to at all times be supervised whereas using a scooter. Skinner additionally reminds dad and mom that some youngsters might profit from further time and assist once they’re studying to cruise on their scooters. This might appear to be “visible cues on the handlebars or deck, which may also help them keep in mind the place to position their arms and ft and easy methods to transfer them,” she says.
What to Search for in a Toddler Scooter
As per Skinner, “not all fashions will work for all youngsters.” To search out the perfect toddler scooter to your toddler, hold their age and ability stage in thoughts as you contemplate what options would finest meet your youngster’s wants. For example, “youngsters with autism spectrum dysfunction (ASD) or different developmental delays that embody decreased physique consciousness or low muscle tone might profit from adaptive options,” explains Skinner. This might imply selecting a toddler scooter with a wider deck or tires to supply extra steadiness and assist, she continues. Nonetheless, there are a couple of key options throughout the board that make up the perfect toddler scooters in the marketplace—verify them out under:
- Foot brake. A foot brake—often known as a rear fender brake—is a must have security characteristic for brand spanking new riders. It’s positioned over the again wheel, making it straightforward to step on when youngsters have to decelerate or cease.
- Steering system. Inexperienced riders can discover it difficult to steer a scooter. The very best toddler scooters have a “lean-to-steer” mechanism. Fairly than transferring the handlebars, toddlers lean within the course they need to go to shift the wheels and switch the scooter. This steering system is simpler for toddlers to know and may also help forestall dramatic turns, which can end in falls.
- Sturdy wheels. Your toddler is certain to hit some bumps within the street whereas they scoot, that means wheels that may sort out uneven terrain are a must have.
- Large foot deck. A wider foot deck (or base) helps toddlers preserve stability and steadiness whereas they journey. The foot deck ought to measure between 3.5 to five inches broad to comfortably accommodate little ft.
- Adjustable handlebar. Though many scooters are marketed as toddler-friendly, only a few have handlebars set on the proper peak for tots. For reference, the scooter handlebars ought to relaxation between the rider’s stomach button and mid-chest. With this in thoughts, go for a toddler scooter with adjustable handlebars that assist the scooter “develop” along with your youngster till they’re prepared for the subsequent stage, recommends Skinner.
Not solely are toddler scooters enjoyable, however they’ll additionally present an array of advantages. As their gross motor abilities progress, “youngsters can be taught extra about physique consciousness, develop bodily steadiness, strengthen muscle tissue and enhance coordination whereas using a scooter,” explains Skinner. Toddler scooters also can present alternatives to your tot’s social abilities to flourish, because it gives a brand new method for them to work together with different youngsters, says Skinner. What’s extra, she continues, scooters also can profit youngsters with sensory sensitivities. How? “Driving a scooter engages each the proprioceptive and vestibular sensory techniques, and these actions can help in regulation,” Skinner states.
Finest Toddler Scooters to Store
Prepared to start out your search? From vibrant light-up scooters to ride-on fashions that develop along with your youngster, we’ve chosen the perfect toddler scooters for girls and boys under.
General finest toddler scooter
First up on our record is the perfect toddler scooter for fast kiddos. Newbie riders will probably be off to a flying begin with this decide from Radio Flyer . The three-wheel toddler scooter boasts an extra-wide base and foot brake for added management. Plus, the specifically designed turning radius offers extra security with out compromising on mobility. And with a price ticket round $30, this mannequin is a discount besides.
Dimensions: 11.6” (L) x 22.8” (W) x 27” (H) | Weight: 4.9 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 50 lbs. | Age ranking: 2 to five years outdated
- Turning radius makes it straightforward to steer
- Additional-wide deck helps with steadiness
- Inexpensive worth level
- Out there in pink or crimson.
- Decrease weight capability than different fashions
Finest toddler scooter for a one-year-old
Looking for a scooter for a newly-minted toddler? The Micro Kickboard Mini 3-in-1 Deluxe would be the one for you. Appropriate for ages 1 to five, this intelligent possibility seamlessly converts from a ride-on toy to a toddler scooter earlier than adapting to an enormous child three-wheeler. It’s just about indestructible with non-marking wheels, so your toddler may even use it indoors at a gymnasium or native rec middle. It comes with all the most recent security options, together with a foot brake, a secure three-wheel design and a lean-to-steer mechanism. Plus, this mannequin comes with a brief O-handlebar that’s straightforward for toddlers to grip in addition to a basic T-bar for barely older youngsters. Dad and mom love this scooter, with one Amazon reviewer writing: “If you will get a primary scooter to your child, that is it. You may’t go incorrect.” Excessive reward certainly!
Dimensions: 21” (L) x 4.5” (W) x 25” (H) | Weight: 4.2 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 44 lbs. (seated), as much as 110 lbs. (standing) | Age ranking: 1 to five years outdated
- Crafted with Swiss engineering
- Two adjustable handlebar choices
- Two-seat heights in ride-on mode
- Excessive worth level
- No foot rests make it tougher to function ride-on mode
Finest toddler scooter for a 2-year-old
One other decide from the top-rated model Micro Kickboard, this toddler scooter is constructed for a barely older age set. The three-wheel scooter ticks each field by way of security—with an easy-to-use rear brake and a toddler-friendly “lean-to-steer” system. In the meantime, top-quality wheels and a versatile fiberglass deck take up shocks, so your kiddo can take pleasure in a easy journey. The T-bar will be adjusted by as much as 8 inches, which is greater than every other toddler scooter in the marketplace. For a glow-up, try the Mini Deluxe LED model with light-up wheels or the foldable possibility that’s nice for metropolis youngsters.
Dimensions: 21” (L) x 4.5” (W) x 25” (H) | Weight: 4 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 110 lbs. | Age ranking: 2 to five years outdated
- Excessive-quality building
- Adjustable handlebar gives a number of peak settings
- All elements are replaceable, that means you’ll be able to repair it up for youthful siblings
Finest toddler scooter for a 3-year-old
Designed for teenagers over the age of three, this scooter has a responsive lean-to-steer operate making it an excellent alternative for assured riders. The high-quality ABEC-5 wheels roll easily over bumpy terrain, whereas built-in LED lights illuminate your child’s path. Higher but, the adjustable handlebar comes off in a snap with out the necessity for instruments, so it’s straightforward to move and retailer too. It’s additionally tremendous light-weight with a large twin-tip deck and an built-in footbrake. In search of one thing a little bit totally different? Take a look at the completely tubular Skatieskootie —a toddler scooter that doubles as a skateboard.
Dimensions: 21.5” (L) x 10.2” (W) x 20.2” (H) | Weight: 5.3 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 110 lbs. | Age ranking: 3+ years
- Handlebar is removable
- Responsive lean-to-steer system
- Prime-quality wheels
- Heavier than different fashions
- Lowest handlebar peak could also be too tall for petite toddlers
Finest wide-deck toddler scooter
Picture: Fats Mind Toys
Older youngsters who’ve already mastered the artwork of steadiness might not want a toddler scooter with a seat. That’s why the YBIKE Cruze 3-wheel scooter is a superb possibility for riders between the ages of two and 5. It’s tremendous light-weight with extra-wide wheels for added stability. Plus, the curved handlebar provides youngsters extra room to place themselves and preserve their steadiness whereas they scoot. Further security options embody a non-slip, gripped foot deck and an easy-to-use rear brake.
Dimensions: 27” (L) x 12” (W) x 22” (H) | Weight: 5.5 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 44 lbs. | Age ranking: 2 to five years outdated
- Lean-and-steer operate
- Large rear wheel and curved handlebar helps with stability
- Non-slip deck
- Handlebar just isn’t adjustable
- Decrease weight capability than different fashions
Finest convertible toddler scooter
The very best toddler scooters adapt to your youngsters’ wants. Living proof: The GO-UP Sporty by Globber. This modern model gives ride-on, strolling bike and scooter modes to enrich your little ones’ developmental stage. It has a rear foot brake and a patented steering lock button that fixes the 2 entrance wheels in place, in order that they’ll solely transfer forwards and backwards whereas your child learns to journey. We’re massive followers of the screwless design: All it takes is a click on of a button to take away or insert the adjustable T-bar and toddler seat. One other cool characteristic? The LED entrance wheels that flash in crimson, inexperienced and blue.
Dimensions: 36” (L) x 11” (W) x 22” (H) | Weight: 8.8 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 110 lbs. | Age ranking: 15 months to six years outdated
- Screw-free design
- Adjustable handlebar has three peak settings
- Capabilities as a ride-on car, push toy and toddler scooter
- Excessive worth level
- Heavier than different toddler scooters
Finest toddler scooter with a seat
Right here’s one other superior convertible possibility: Hurtle ScootKid. which will be ridden with a seat like a tricycle or used as a standard scooter. Like lots of the finest toddler scooters it has a rear brake, a large non-slip deck and light-up wheels that may glide over any terrain. It additionally boasts lean-to-steer expertise and an adjustable T-bar handlebar. Prepared for the true standout characteristic? This toddler scooter has a fold-down seat, so your kiddo can swap between cruising and scooting in a flash.
Dimensions: 22.8” (L) x 9.2” (W) x 33” (H) | Weight: 9 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 132 lbs. | Age ranking: 12+ months
- Fold-down seat
- Large deck suits each ft
- Adjustable handlebar has 4 peak settings
- Gentle-up wheels require batteries
- Heaviest mannequin on the record
Finest 5-in-1 toddler scooter
Subsequent up is a convertible toddler scooter that you would be able to depend on to develop along with your kiddo by a number of levels and ages. The 5-in-1 design seamlessly transitions from a seated trike to a full scooter in a matter of seconds; different modes embody a steadiness bike, a ride-on toy and a three-wheel scooter. Particulars you’ll admire embody the adjustable handlebar and the removable cup holder. Plus, reviewers love how this scooter for toddlers is tremendous sturdy whereas nonetheless being light-weight to your youngster (or, inevitably, you) to hold in your subsequent outing.
Dimensions: 26.5” (L) x 11” (W) x 33.5” (H) | Weight: 11.2 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 48.5 lbs. | Age ranking: 2 to five years outdated
- Versatile 5-in-1 design meets your youngster’s altering wants
- Simply transitions in seconds
- Reviewers love that it’s light-weight and durable
- Excessive worth level
- Decrease weight restrict than different choices
Finest foldable toddler scooter
Right here’s a toddler scooter that’s supreme for households who’re at all times on the transfer. The foldable design can simply be saved in your storage, the trunk of your automotive and even underneath a youthful sibling’s stroller when not in use. Then, when it’s time to zoom, unfold the distinctive, light-weight design for limitless enjoyable. The three-wheel base contains light-up entrance wheels for added pleasure and visibility. On the finish of the day, simply press a button and the handlebar will arc all the way down to be folded—straightforward peasy.
Dimensions: 33.4” (L) x 11.5” (W) x 22.6” (H) | Weight: 7 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 110 lbs. | Age ranking: 3 to 10 years outdated
- Ergonomic handlebar grips for small arms
- Gentle-up entrance wheels for added visibility
- Tremendous-simple, distinctive folding design
- Some reviewers say the fabric doesn’t put on nicely over time
Finest light-up toddler scooter
Final however not least is our decide for the perfect light-up toddler scooter. Not solely does it have vibrant, multi-colored wheels, nevertheless it’s additionally embellished with vivid lights on the handlebar stem for added enjoyable. Because of the foldable, light-weight design and secure three-wheel base, this toddler scooter will probably be straightforward to your toddler to cruise independently. You’ll additionally admire the adjustable handlebar, which implies your kiddo will be capable to use it even after an surprising development spurt.
Dimensions: 22” (L) x 10” (W) x 22.5” (H) | Weight: 7 lbs. | Weight restrict: As much as 132 lbs. | Age ranking: 3+ years
- Enjoyable light-up wheels and handlebar stem
- Has a excessive weight capability
- Adjustable handlebars and secure broad deck
- Gentle colours might seem in another way in individual
- Batteries wanted
How We Selected the Finest Toddler Scooters
We get it—selecting playthings to your tot isn’t at all times all enjoyable and video games. That will help you discover the perfect toddler scooter to your toddler, we did the majority of the analysis for you, so that you don’t need to spend hours scrolling by on-line retailers. We did this by contemplating a number of elements when selecting scooters, reminiscent of high quality and sturdiness, worth, weight restrict, dimensions and, after all, security. We additionally learn consumer evaluations to get the lowdown on how these merchandise have labored for actual kiddos, and didn’t contemplate something with lower than a median four-star ranking.
To verify we’re highlighting toddler scooters which might be protected and efficient, we chatted with an occupational therapist to grasp important options and security concerns to maintain high of thoughts while you’re procuring. We additionally adopted the protection suggestions of the AAP for added steerage.
Eager about studying extra about our editorial course of? Examine how our crew develops and evaluations all articles right here .